Shadow Help

LoveitScrapit

Let's talk shadows. Are you comfortable with shadowing your elements and papers? Do you need more help? Do you just have certain questions about why, how, or when to shadow?

Well let's chat. Everyone here is welcome to chime in and help out. Post tutorials that have helped them etc.,

If there's something particularly hard to learn or understand, I will try to write up examples to explain.

So let's jump in to shadows.

Here is a video of my shadow process and a little explanation
I've added a video
you can find it HERE

Last edited:

LoveitScrapit

Tips and Websites that go into more depth about shadows. But please, feel free to ask questions here too.
1. Look at real objects, or real paper layouts as a base for how shadows work in the real world.
2. Journaling and paint don't have shadows.
3. The farther your element is away from the BG the lighter your shadow will be
4. Try to keep the direction of your shadows the same
(there are special circumstances this will not apply - advanced user topic)
5. No shadows at all, equals a flat looking layout.

Websites that cover more about shadowing.
http://thedailydigi.com/2010/09/25/drop-shadows-tutorials/
(this post is old, beware of clicking the links)

http://thedailydigi.com/2011/10/08/one-layout-shadowed-by-different-digi-scrappers/

http://thedailydigi.com/2010/11/10/to-shadow-or-not-to-shadow-that-is-the-question/

Paint Shop Pro
https://www.pixelscrapper.com/forums/digital-scrapbooking/software-specific-questions/paintshop-pro-basic-shadowing-concepts-with
http://creationcassel.com/store/

PSE and PS tips
https://debbiehodge.com/2016/07/drop-shadow-tips-tricks-digital-scrapbook-pages/

http://www.digitalscrapper.com/video/Custom-Drop-Shadow.html

Last edited:

JenniferJ

The Nut of my Kingdom
I could use some help like when your object already has a light source. Does that mean like the "glare" that is on brads and beads and stuff and if so how do you judge where to put your shadows?

I think where I am getting confused most on the shadows is for example... 5 peeps can take the same flower and each person have totally different shadowing and all of them look good? I guess what I am asking is how do I know which side of the flower I need the shadow on? Or is it a page deal like it doesn't matter which side I put the shadow on as long as all items on the page follows suit?

Gosh I feel so dumb asking these questions but I really want to stretch myself although I know this is not something I am gonna perfect overnight or maybe never but maybe I can at least do a bit better. :oops:

LoveitScrapit

I could use some help like when your object already has a light source. Does that mean like the "glare" that is on brads and beads and stuff and if so how do you judge where to put your shadows?

I think where I am getting confused most on the shadows is for example... 5 peeps can take the same flower and each person have totally different shadowing and all of them look good? I guess what I am asking is how do I know which side of the flower I need the shadow on? Or is it a page deal like it doesn't matter which side I put the shadow on as long as all items on the page follows suit?

Gosh I feel so dumb asking these questions but I really want to stretch myself although I know this is not something I am gonna perfect overnight or maybe never but maybe I can at least do a bit better. :oops:
First I'm glad you are asking. There's no shame in asking.

Secondly, shadowing like scrapbooking is still a very personal thing. And truthfully, in the past few years, I haven't seen as much talk about "standards" ... there is no HARD rules as to what, or how to shadow.
The main reason we shadow, or at least myself, is to make my page look more "realistic" like the paper scrapbook layouts we see.

Here is a paper layout

and here is the digital version I made
GlowedUp-02.jpg

I actually have both 45 degree and 120 degree shadows on this page. Like the black flower peeking out at the bottom right corner of the photo.

So to answer your other question, you can shadow on whatever side of the flower YOU choose. But I do try to keep all the shadows going the same way for the majority of my elements, except special ones like the black flower peeking out.
As far as brads, and flairs, that have "light" sources on them when designed, your shadow would be on the opposite side. Think of your shadow outside on a sunny day. If the sun is on your right side, your shadow is going to be cast on the left side of you.

What I always recommend is to practice. Try different shadows out and find out what YOU like best when you look at your layout. Tomorrow or Friday morning I am planning on scrapping a bit and I will see if I can record my process and how I shadow with some examples. :)

JenniferJ

The Nut of my Kingdom
First I'm glad you are asking. There's no shame in asking.

Secondly, shadowing like scrapbooking is still a very personal thing. And truthfully, in the past few years, I haven't seen as much talk about "standards" ... there is no HARD rules as to what, or how to shadow.
The main reason we shadow, or at least myself, is to make my page look more "realistic" like the paper scrapbook layouts we see.

Here is a paper layout

and here is the digital version I made
View attachment 152829

I actually have both 45 degree and 120 degree shadows on this page. Like the black flower peeking out at the bottom right corner of the photo.

So to answer your other question, you can shadow on whatever side of the flower YOU choose. But I do try to keep all the shadows going the same way for the majority of my elements, except special ones like the black flower peeking out.
As far as brads, and flairs, that have "light" sources on them when designed, your shadow would be on the opposite side. Think of your shadow outside on a sunny day. If the sun is on your right side, your shadow is going to be cast on the left side of you.

What I always recommend is to practice. Try different shadows out and find out what YOU like best when you look at your layout. Tomorrow or Friday morning I am planning on scrapping a bit and I will see if I can record my process and how I shadow with some examples. :)
Thanks Kiana and all who have reached out! I'm feeling much better about it now thanks to all of your help and others input on FB. and yes make us more videos! Purty Please! Love your videos! :D

Kimberly Stewart

Designing Ninjas
My suggestion is to actually look at paper scrapped layouts and observe the shadows. If you are looking for realistic looking shadows, then look at the real thing. Another suggestion is to make your own paper layout and look at how the shadows fall. Place your light source to the upper left (for 120) and then place your light source to the upper right (45). Look at how dark or light the shadows are. Look at how thick or thin they are. Look at the colors of the shadows.

LoveitScrapit

I don't know maybe not enough, maybe too much? Go look at some of my layouts & you tell me. They just don't look real I guess.
Easter_20181.jpg
What girl?! These shadows are A-Ok in my book. :)
I really love the lifted shadow on the frame too!!

Constructive Critique. You could make the flower shadows a bit bigger/lift more.
I think your layout said you use PSCC3? My Sweet Spot Shadow styles are only $1 right now during the Pumpkin Patch sale. Not a ploy to get sales, because there's lots of shadow styles out there for free you could try too. I know I think a few of the links above that Kimberly posted have some free sets, you could practice with.

Shadowing again, is a matter of personal opinion. Just like most design. My house isn't going to be designed the same inside as the next persons.

stater

View attachment 152851
What girl?! These shadows are A-Ok in my book. :)
I really love the lifted shadow on the frame too!!

Constructive Critique. You could make the flower shadows a bit bigger/lift more.
I think your layout said you use PSCC3? My Sweet Spot Shadow styles are only $1 right now during the Pumpkin Patch sale. Not a ploy to get sales, because there's lots of shadow styles out there for free you could try too. I know I think a few of the links above that Kimberly posted have some free sets, you could practice with.

Shadowing again, is a matter of personal opinion. Just like most design. My house isn't going to be designed the same inside as the next persons.
I think I already have your styles. Are they lisi_sweetspotshadows_45_styleso1.asl, lisi_sweetspotshadows_120_styleso1.asl & lisi_sweetspotshadows_styleso1.asl?

Thanks.

LoveitScrapit

I think I already have your styles. Are they lisi_sweetspotshadows_45_styleso1.asl, lisi_sweetspotshadows_120_styleso1.asl & lisi_sweetspotshadows_styleso1.asl?

Thanks.
Yes ma'am!!!! That's them!! Play around with those. I used them in the video above!

stater

I was comparing some of my paper scrapbooking pages to some digital ones I had printed. Basically, the digi ones looks flat like a picture instead of my paper pages.

LoveitScrapit

I was comparing some of my paper scrapbooking pages to some digital ones I had printed. Basically, the digi ones looks flat like a picture instead of my paper pages.
Yes, your shadows aren't "super" big or pronounced. You just need to play with the sizing on your shadows. You said you have my styles, try the high foliage and high flowers for your leaves and flowers. That should make them pop