Rule of Thirds

demma_b13

Designing Ninjas
I have a question this morning. I have seen information about using the rule of thirds in creating layouts in scrapbooking tutorials. The tutorials If you have a tic tac toe grid, you place the photo in one of the places where the lines meet up on the grid. But as I look at the galleries across the Internet, I find really great looking layouts where the focal point is in the middle of the layout. Is is acceptable to place the focal point in the center of the page or does this break the rule of thirds rule?

mrscwooddell

Digital Gator Designs - Claudette
I would say yes, because the center of the layout has a symmetry of its own...
There are also triangles around the photos that you can create with various elements to give it a thirds kinda feel...place items in three's with the center of the triangle around what you would like to be focused on. :)

sandie03

I run with Scissors
Rule of thirds, golden triangle, centering, grounding elements, left to right flow, diagonal lines, curves, repetition, rule of odds, leading white space, ... these are just some of the composition elements you might aim for in creating a layout, but in the end, as the artist, you decide what works best for the effect you want to create.

I like this quote: (http://www.studiocodex.com/composition01.html)
Composition is an intuitive act: how artists work with their judgment, make associations, and determine how to direct the observer’s eye. It’s in the “compositional” stage that they determine how the lines will lead to important areas, whether the shapes will be large enough to hold the viewer’s attention, and how the colors will lead the eye off to another part of the work.

TBH, I often start by following a composition rule, but sometimes this gets lost as I move items around for a better visual effect.

Last edited:

scrapsofcandy

Administrator
Staff member
Rule of thirds, golden triangle, centering, grounding elements, left to right flow, diagonal lines, curves, repetition, rule of odds, leading white space, ... these are just some of the composition elements you might aim for in creating a layout, but in the end, as the artist, you decide what works best for the effect you want to create.
What a great answer!

If you are in doubt, you can always duplicate your layout and move everything from the center to one of the rule of thirds dissecting points and see which you find more visually appealing for that particular layout.

demma_b13

Designing Ninjas
Thank you. I have done what you have said on several occasions, moving after I merge the elements. Great quote, Sandy!