How to make that realistic bump over a safety pin

demma_b13

Designing Ninjas
Last week I saw a link to a tutorial for making that realistic bump over a pinned safety pin. I was busy and thought I would go back to that link but I accidently deleted it and so I am posting here to see if anyone knows of a good tutorial on this. I want my paper to look like it has a real safety pin pinned to it. Can anyone help me?

I use PSP and have some knowledge of CS5.

Phloxy

Deanna, I would use the Burn tool on a very small, low opacity & draw a line along where the pin would be to create a light shadow that would give the appearance of the bump. Then use the dodge tool to give it the highlight across the top of the pin.

Hope that made sense?

demma_b13

Designing Ninjas
Thank you. I have been playing around with it a while and have something that looks ok. I just need to practice this.

Vicki

Designing Ninjas
Staff member
As always, there are multiple ways in Photoshop. Burn and dodge is great, and the way I started creating these type of effects. However, lately I have been using the nondestructive way. Create two or more layers and use a soft brush in a deep color @ multiply and a light color @ screen and lower the opacity till it looks good. That way if I screw it up I can just delete the layer and start over.

Vicki

Designing Ninjas
Staff member
Glad to help :D
To explain a little better, I make the new layers above the element or color fill layer and clip them. Some times I will have 2-3 each of highlight/dodge and shadow/burn layers. That way you can adjust the opacity independently for a more realistic look. Sometimes I take the opacity all the way down to 7-10%. I've also found that using a larger brush than you think you need for the highlights gives a better look, and just clicking with the brush (no dragging) looks best.