Edge Overlays - Easy and Dramatic

Discussion in 'Wrapping Lessons' started by Elizabeth Weaver, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Elizabeth Weaver

Elizabeth Weaver Designing Ninjas

Have you ever played around with edge overlays? I use them a TON for my own layouts. They add so much visual interest to a background without covering the central focus, and can change the entire ‘feel’ of your page. You can mix and match them, stack, recolour, rotate them, mirror them – there are just so many possibilities with this kind of embellishment!

Here is an example of how an edge overlay makes this otherwise rather flat background come alive:

ScreenHunter_5491 Feb. 28 21.14.jpg

An overlay on different backgrounds changes things up yet again, so you can use them over and over. In this example, even without mirroring, rotating, recoloring, or stacking, you still have three unique new backgrounds:

ScreenHunter_5490 Feb. 28 20.55.jpg

Sometimes an edge overlay is almost the only embellishment you need to enhance your special photos or complete a page of journaling:

stationhotelb600.jpg

AllisonSurname.jpg

They work equally well on graphic style or paper style layouts, and you never need to add a drop shadow to an overlay edge – it is there simply to enhance and change the look of your background or photo. Make sure to add it as the layer directly above your background or full-page sized photo, then add shadowed elements on top of it:

ladieswalk600.jpg

meemawbestyet600.jpg

You can even use them with dramatic effect on plain black or white as a background – no scrapbooking ‘paper’ needed:

flagday2010600.jpg

learning to walk600.jpg

Many of my kits contain overlay edges which are not obvious in the sample images, but I also package unique ones in sets of five and occasionally I will include a bonus background. I would say there are probably overlay sets on almost every page of my store, I love them so much!
    https://www.plaindigitalwrapper.com/shoppe/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=210

Here is a freebie overlay to have a play with! I'd love to see what you do with it - link your layout in this thread so I can go comment on it in the gallery!

Download here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aamnm2vf5ucb9xc/EMC_PopOfTealEdgeOverlay.zip?dl=1

EMC_PopOfTealEdgeOverlay.jpg

2. Tbear

Tbear Well-Known Member

Preaching to the choir here. You're the best overlay designer, hands down.
    Years ago, I made a separate file for just your overlays so they are ready for final touches on my pages.
    Sometimes I use them as frames too to give my photos artsy edges. Versatile, beautiful and easy peasy!

crazsquaw and Elizabeth Weaver like this.
  3. Elizabeth Weaver

Elizabeth Weaver Designing Ninjas

Thank you Tbear!

Tbear likes this.
  4. Julia

Julia Active Member

Love a good edge overlay and once you start playing with blending modes the possibilities are endless. I will sometimes just use a particularly interesting corner from one too - either deleting the sides I don't need or by making it bigger and dragging the 'other' edges off the page.

5. stater

stater Well-Known Member

Interesting & thank you.

Elizabeth Weaver likes this.
  6. crazsquaw

crazsquaw Challenge Master

Thanks Elizabeth, I love them also- your overlays are always gorgeous!

7. G.J.

G.J. Active Member

Thank you so much <3

8. Julia

Julia Active Member

I just looked through my gallery. I only have 20 layouts in there (including siggies) and it looks like 7 of them use an edge overlay of some sort!

9. Tedasgram

Tedasgram Member

Thank you so much! I just found this section accidentally YAY

Tbear and Elizabeth Weaver like this.